This documentation page assumes that you already have a SeekTable account. You can create free account by signing up
You can automatically send reports by scheduling the desired reports daily, weekly, monthly or yearly.
Scheduled reports are good to update the team about the status or progress of some business process.
With scheduled reporting you can promote data-driven decisions in your company or department without forcing employees to use a BI tool.
For this purpose SeekTable exposes an API for the following actions in your account:
- export saved report to any supported format (PDF, Excel, CSV, HTML). You can even export table report to HTML with inline styles
and place the report directly in email body - in the same way as it is placed in "Share by email" feature.
- share saved report by email (simplest way to deliver reports by email on schedule)
- upload CSV file to refresh existing CSV-based cube
You can automate these actions in the following ways:
- With Zapier: SeekTable app connector (beta) is already available for usage in Zaps.
See Zapier integration how-to for more details.
- With Microsoft Flow: SeekTable connector is already available for usage in flows.
See MS Flow integration how-to for more details.
- Geek way: use PowerShell+Schedule Tasks (Windows) or bash+cron (Linux) to create a task that
generates a report with a public link (or SeekTable web API), and sends it by email or delivers in some other way. This can be either a link with report parameters, or report included into email body, or attachment(s) with report export (PDF, Excel etc).
How to create pre-aggregated data snapshots
When your database is rather large execution of aggregate queries may take significant time (30+ seconds) which is not very suitable for data crunching.
Universal solution for situations like this is usage of specialized analytical database;
another alternative is taking pre-aggregated snapshots that are refreshed periodically.
Ideally if your database supports materialized views that are updated incrementally; if not (or if you don't have enough rights to do this)
you can use this scenario to simulate such views with SeekTable:
- In your DB-based cube create pivot table report that includes only dimensions you want use in reports by snapshot on rows +
select all measures that you might need in reports.
- In "Format" tab disable "Grand Total" and "Totals row". Choose max value in "Limits". Save this report.
- Export this report to CSV and create new cube. Edit cube configuration and remove irrelevant automatically suggested measures
and correct the labels.
- Use this CSV-based cube for reports by snapshot data in a usual way.
- Configure a task in Zapier or MS Flow to refresh your snapshot on schedule in these steps:
- Trigger action "On schedule"
- SeekTable connector "Find a report" (Zapier) or "Report Export" (MS Flow): choose a report that you prepared for CSV export
- SeekTable connector "Upload CSV File": choose as target your CSV-based cube you created by CSV export.
NOTE: in this way you can create snapshots that have no more than 50,000 rows.
To reduce the size of snapshot exclude dimensions with a lot of unique values (like timestamps - choose separate "year"/"month"/"day" dimensions instead)
or apply additional filtering criteria with report parameters (say, use only last month/last year data).