This documentation page assumes that you already have a SeekTable account.
Create your free
account by signing up
Self-service web reporting tool
With SeekTable you can create, save, export and share reports on your CSV data or database. Possible visualizations are:
- pivot table (crosstab): summary report
- pivot chart: bar / horizontal bar, stacked bar, line, scatter, area, pie / donut
- flat table (tabular report): unaggregated columns and rows
Connect to Data
All data visualizations come from the underlying dataset. You can use SeekTable with the following data sources:
- CSV/TSV/Excel file
Click on "Upload Data" button, choose a file on your computer you want to upload and - that's all.
SeekTable automatically determines the columns and configures them as a cube dimensions and measures;
you can customize default CSV cube setup later if needed.
- First row with column headers is required.
- Supported separators: comma, tab, semicolon, colon, pipe. Separator and file encoding are determined automatically.
- No limits on the number of rows or columns. Max file size upload limit: 50Mb.
- File may be compressed with zip (".zip" extension) or gzip (".gz" extension) - this allows you to upload even large CSV files (up to 500mb).
- Sample CSV file: sales.csv.
- Excel files: both ".xls" and ".xslx" are supported, max file size is 5Mb. If you have larger Excel file you can save the worksheet as CSV.
Click on "Connect to Database" and choose your database type, then configure the connection.
Your database should be accessible from SeekTable server (22.214.171.124).
If database cannot be accessed from internet you can consider usage of self-hosted SeekTable version.
All queries are performed on-the-fly (without data import) and nothing is stored on SeekTable server (except short-living in-memory cache).
You can use SeekTable with database of any size.
Note: aggregated data for summary reports (pivot tables/charts) is cached in-memory for the short periods of time; cloud SeekTable cache settings are
(you can customize them in self-hosted SeekTable):
- Sliding expiration: 2 minutes
- Absolute expiration: 10 minutes
- Cache flushes each time when cube configuration form is saved
Once data source data source ("cube") is configured you can create your first report:
- Click on "New Report" or "+" icon in the left menu.
Choose desired report type:
- Pivot table
- Cross-tab (summary) report that displays aggregated data.
Use this report type to build a chart.
- Flat table
- Grid that displays dataset rows 'as is'.
In case of Pivot table report:
- Select dimensions that you want to see as "Rows" and "Columns". Empty list is ok.
- Select measure(s) that should be displayed in table cells. If no measures selected, "Count" is used by default.
- Optional: choose Chart type if you want to get pivot chart visualization in addition to the pivot table.
In case of Flat table report:
- Select "Columns" to display. At least one column should be selected.
- Click on "Apply".
See also create pivot table how-to to get more details on the report creation (filter/sort/drill-down etc).
Save and Share Your Insights
- To save a report click on "New Report" label and enter the name of the report.
"Export" menu allows you to export the report to the following formats:
- Excel (worksheet with tabular data)
- Excel PivotTable (pivot table reports only)
- Report can be shared:
- with "Share by Email" function report (snapshot) may be delivered as email.
- with "Get Link" you can allow people to view your saved report. This function can be used for embedding the report into other website.
- with "Share to team" function report can be shared with other SeekTable users.